Short history of Vancouver laneway housing
After extensive public debates and identifying a range of issues and options, Vancouver City Council adopted the “Laneway Housing Regulations and Guidelines” on July 28, 2009.
On May 6, 2013 Vancouver City tabled several amendments to the regulations and guidelines on Vancouver’s laneway housing in respond to issues of neighbourliness, parking, livability and length of the permitting process. In addition, the zoning was expanded to include RS-1A, RS-1B, RS-2, RS-3, RS-3A, RS-4, RS-6, RS-7 of the Zoning and Development By-law. View Vancouver laneway housing amendment here.
Benefits of Vancouver laneway housing
Vancouver Laneway houses are an excellent way to increase the diversity of rental units in single family neighbourhoods, by providing:
- An additional opportunity beyond owning a house or renting a basement suite in Vancouver
- More opportunity to live in detached and ground-oriented rental housing
- Additional housing that preserves the existing streetscape and adds character, vibrancy, and security to the lane
- Housing for diverse groups of people in Vancouver, including seniors ready to downsize, adult children who want to live independently, and renters who want to live in detached housing
- More opportunities for people to live in Vancouver, close to their jobs, services, and frequent transit
Vancouver Laneway housing how-to-guide
A comprehensive 59-page “How-to-Guide“ on Laneway House published by the City of Vancouver will help you understand how you can go about owing your own laneway house. Over 90% of the single family homes in Vancouver are within the RS1 and RS5 zonings that allow laneway houses to be built. View the income benefit from positive cashflow of Vancouver laneway housing here.
With the recent amendment to the original regulations, laneway housing zoning in Vancouver was expanded to include RS-1A, RS-1B, RS-2, RS-3, RS-3A, RS-4, RS-6, RS-7 of the Zoning and Development By-law.
If you are looking for help to build a laneway house in Vancouver, a “turnkey solution” is available through James Wong at Multiple Realty Ltd. Kindly call me at 604-721-4817, or email James.